Bioprocess Scientist (Viruses)
Esco Lifesciences Group provides enabling technologies, products and services to the life sciences and healthcare industries, supporting academic research and scientific discoveries, clinical practice, as well as biopharmaceutical R&D and manufacturing. Headquartered in Singapore, Esco has an extensive sales network in over 100 countries, direct sales and service offices in 24 countries, 8 manufacturing and R&D hubs in the US, Europe, the UK, China, Singapore, Indonesia, and over 1500 employees worldwide.
Esco is poised to benefit from the sustained growth of the healthcare and biopharma industries in Asia and globally. Esco has achieved market leadership in China, and globally, in multiple categories within some of the fastest growing segments — with China being its largest and fastest growing market. As a Singapore-headquartered company, Esco is a nexus of East and West, bridging technologies, products and talent across the world, with global operations spanning the US, Europe and Asia.
Physical/Mental Requirements/Work Environment
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific data and publications
- Ability to author or review protocols, technical reports and technology transfer documents.
- Ability to author or review standard operating procedures and other related documents.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.
- Ability to focus
- Repetitive motions due to certain laboratory techniques
Primary Work Location: 67 Ayer Rajah Crescent, Singapore.
Selected candidate will report to CEO and others as assigned.
You will perform research and process development activities in collaboration with other stakeholders (academics, corporate partners, contract research organizations, customers) relating to virus process development. You will also be responsible for technology scouting and evaluation of technologies, negotiation of in-licensing and collaboration agreements.
You will be able to work independently and work on problems of diverse scope requiring analysis of data and evaluation of identifiable factors. You will develop expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts, provide detailed data, results, analyses, and summary reports to management, and recommend paths forward based on analysis. You will demonstrate technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and independent thought.
You will know and follow all laws and policies that apply to one's job, and maintain the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and compliance at all times.
- Cell culture process development and process characterization for Vaccine substrates using Tide motion Bioreactors focusing on the highest yield, affordable cost, linearly scalable quality by design.
- Cultivation of viruses in cell substrates using Esco’s proprietary technology ; optimisation of process parameters using statistical methods, determination and optimisation of virus growth kinetics; optimization of utilizing trypsin for higher viral titer.
- Virus titration assays - conventional assays and development of novel assays using ddPCR , NTA etc
- Concentration and purification of viruses - knowledge of DS techniques is essential
- Cross - functional collaboration with other departments such as Analytical Development , Downstream processing to develop QC assays
- Establishing collaboration with clients in the region and internationally to optimise upstream workflows
- Communication of scientific data as tech reports, white papers, research articles/ communications in peerreviewed journals
- Scoping out innovative technologies to aid in pipeline/ platform development
- Provide technical support for sales team by communicating technical data ; aid in internal product development and marketing
- Undertake other tasks as assigned based on project needs.
PhD in Biology, Virology, Life Sciences, Immunology, or related discipline, and a minimum of 6 years of experience in an R&D or product development experience; OR an MS in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering , BioProcessing Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline, and a minimum of 8 years of experience in conducting research in an R&D or process development experience is required
Experience with adherent (Vero, Hek 293T), Insect Cell lines (SF) suspension cell lines and cell culture including QC of viruses.
Experience in Vaccine/Virus research and bioprocess development, including reagents/media, spent media analysis various perfusion and advanced feeding methods as well as purification methods.
Experience developing pharmaceutical or bio analytical methods helping to screen, optimize, and determine critical quality attributes and scale up parameters.
Experience in Immunology to determine correlates of protection and mechanisms of action of vaccines.
Experience authoring scientific publications is required as writing of white papers / technical reports as well as scaling up protocols is required.
Experience in developing and catching right time for virus infection into cell line for highest viral titer.
Preferred ability to create and immortalize cell lines from primary tissues (e.g. CEF, GL)
Experience conducting biology-related research is required. You should be able to independently and efficiently plan and perform experiments in an interdisciplinary environment.
Ability to write scientific publications and present data at national and international conferences.
Proficiency in Microsoft Power Point, Word, Excel, and standard experimental analysis software such as DOE (Design of Experiment) and LIMS (Laboratory information management system), GLP (Good Laboratory practices) as part of contract clinical development
- Team player
- Ability to work in a fast paced start-up environment
- Details oriented, committed, accountable, positive and make it happen attitude
- Presentation skills
- Project management and reporting
- Ability to work on their own
- Preferred Technical Skills:
- Familiarity with cell culture and scaling up
- Experience in authoring scientific grants is preferred.
- Knowledge of FDA Regulations / eu CGMP / PIC/s Directive and Guidelines preferred
Apply now by submitting a Cover Letter and CV to [email protected].
For other job openings in Esco Lifesciences Group within the respective geographies, kindly refer to corporate website.