Our Partnering Strategy
Esco Aster is actively seeking partnerships with biopharmaceutical companies with interest in bringing exosome-based medicines to their therapeutic areas. We aim to provide faster time to clinic and market to translate EV potential in your target therapeutic area (such as neurology, cancer, or autosomal diseases) into legitimate development plans. Linearly scalable cGMP manufacturing platforms are available to kick-start non-clinical development, GLP Studies, Phase 1, and clinical trials.
What Esco Aster Brings to partnership:
1. Research Services
From biospecimens, spent media and biofluids such as plasma, tissue culture media, cerebrospinal fluid. Esco Aster will isolate and assess quality as per ISEV or client preferred guidelines utilizing spectrophotometry or equivalent techniques. RNA can be further extracted from exosomes and miRNA isolation and sequencing provided. Surface markers can be further analyzed on protein structure and proteomics analysis will provide detailed map to characterize the peptides formed and samples differentially analyzed to determine in silico changes in peptide profile.
Complete exosome profile is then provided as final report.
Esco Aster adapts a bench scale downstream protocols for purification from ultracentrifugation, density gradient centrifugation, and testing of different resins. This also includes different chromatographic steps from size exclusion to others and optimization processes to identify right resins and protocols in achieving purity and recovery whilst still maintaining identity.
2. Clinical-commercial scale manufacturing
Esco Aster have available bioreactor units and platform tools to use and to provide a full CDMO service for EV clinical to commercial scale manufacturing.
- Isolation from biofluids or conditioned culture media including platelets, mesenchymal stromal cells, iPSCs, hESCs, other cells (e.g., CAR-T cells) and biogenesis including specific cell culture media to boost expression of EVs.
- Maximum yield from 0.1 L bench-scale to multi-liter bioreactor scale volumes with full preservation of exosome integrity.
- cGMP purification of exosomes for GLP, clinical, medical, cosmeceutical applications
- Media Development including spent media analysis and formulation into serum free media.
3. Specialized payloads and cargo
Esco Aster performs insertion of specially designed nucleic acids to the payloads of EVs: from mRNA, RNAi, and siRNA, which are commonly used to modify genetics of cells. Through the oligosynthesizer, payloads are produced as part of our vertically integrated CDMO service.
4. Precision Targeted delivery
Esco Aster proprietary technology enables the attachment of custom single domain proteins to the surface of EVs. This allows precision targeting of EVs to selected cell types.
5. Analytics & characterization
Esco Aster Analytical Development team provides a comprehensive suite of EV characterization and analysis technologies along with deep experience in encapsulation, formulation, assays, and release.
These focus on physical, biophysical, biochemical, biological assays and include techniques such as single cell flow cytometry. We are evaluating and collaborating on novel technologies for EV Characterization such as dstorm-microscopy as well as other analytical techniques for functional and potency assays.
Esco Aster is open to research collaborations as well to work on novel analytics contact us at [email protected] for collaborations.
Vertically Integrated Manufacturing Technologies
Esco Aster utilizes our adherent Tide Motion platform for continuous upstream to downstream bioprocessing chaining continuous harvesting to continuous downstream processing for process intensification. This enables us to provide EVs at higher yields and more affordable cost than compared to even suspension culture.
Unlike culturing in microcarriers in suspension, which may suffer from aggregation, non-uniform cell seeding, large clumps, necrotic cores, sludge at bottom of stir tank which tends to be less homogenous in most suspension bioreactors, Tide Motion does not have such limitations. Most multi-layered cell culture-ware do not have its own automated harvesting system, sensors for inline monitoring, not linearly scalable, and will need to scale out. These components are common for most cGMP Quality by Design Manufacturing.
These 2D systems are not linearly scalable and requires scaling out instead of scaling up. While retention of skilled cell culture specialist for 2D culture can be costly, fragile culture ware also tends to result in batch losses resulting in downtime due to clean up and economic losses, especially when they are scaled out up in large batches.
- Colao, I. et. al. (2018). Manufacturing exosomes: a promising therapeutic platform. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmed.2018.01.006.
- Bianco, N.R. et al. (2009) Therapeutic effect of exosomes from indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase-positive dendritic cells in collagen-induced arthritis and delayed-type hypersensitivity disease models. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24229
- Li, V. (2021). Exosomes: a case study in manufacturing a new modality at scale. Biocentury inc.